Keeping pace with the rapidly developing world of information technology is a need that Hasso Plattner Institute (HPI) helps to fill with openhpi.de. openHPI works according to the principle of “Massive Open Online Courses” (MOOC):
- openHPI courses match the high-quality curriculum at HPI, Germany’s highest ranked computer science institute. On the basis of instructional videos, interactive self-tests and practical exercises, participants receive in-depth knowledge on multi-faceted topics in IT technology.
- openHPI courses are conducted entirely online. All material can be accessed from any device that is Internet-accessible, whether desktop, laptop, Smartphone or tablet.
- openHPI courses are open: that means participation is free and there are no prerequisites of any kind.
- openHPI courses enable individual participants to join in a virtual learning community with other participants. Lively discussion forums and virtual learning groups encourage a stimulating exchange of questions and a collaborative learning of the subject.
Learn more about the openHPI people on our team page.
openHPI courses are targeted at different audiences. Part of our courses address a general audience and introduce the foundations of information technology, e.g., the design and structure of the Internet and the World Wide Web, the structure and operation of database systems or security in information technology.
Other courses are geared towards ICT professionals who wish to keep up with the very latest innovations in computer science research, e.g., In-Memory Data Management, the Semantic Web, or Multicore and Cloud Computing.
Courses are conducted in German and English.
It Pays to Participate
Participants generally need to calculate three to six hours of serious study time per course week, depending on their previous knowledge. This time includes watching the teaching videos, working through the reading materials, checking one’s own learning progress via the provided self-tests, and actively participating in the discussion forums. Upon successful completion of the online final exam, participants receive a certificate from Hasso Plattner Institute.
Our customized, interactive online courses are ideal for:
- College students and all others who are personally interested in IT topics. We also invite high school students to take part in our courses.
- Professionals who wish to improve and deepen their practical IT know-how for their job.
- Those who want to acquire the latest IT knowledge to advance in their career.
The First openHPI Courses
- openHPI began on Monday September 3, 2012 with the online course "In-Memory Data Management" (in English) by Prof. Hasso Plattner . Plattner, who is Co-Founder of SAP and Chairman of its Supervisory Board, founded HPI and is also a professor there. A total of 13,126 learners signed up for this course and 2,137 earned a certificate.
- From November 5 to December 24, 2012, Institute Director Prof. Dr. Christoph Meinel offered an introduction to "Internetworking with TCP/IP" (in German). For this course, there were 9,891 registered learners with 1,635 who earned the final certificate.
- From February 4 to April 1, 2013 the course "Semantic Web Technologies" (in English) was conducted by Dr. Harald Sack , Senior Researcher at HPI. 5,692 learners were registered in this course, 784 received the final certificate.
- The course "Datamanagement with SQL" (in German) was conducted by Prof. Dr. Felix Naumann , from April 8, 2013 to Jun 2, 2013. 7,684 learners were registered in this course, 1,641 received the final certificate.
- The course "WWW Technologies" (in German) by Prof. Dr. Christoph Meinel , was offered from June 3, 2013 to August 1, 2013. 7,350 learners were registered in this course, 1,727 received the final certificate.
- The second iteration of the course "In-Memory Data Management" (in Englisch) by Prof. Hasso Plattner , was offered from August 26, 2013 to October 21, 2013. 15,839 learners were registered in this course, 2,443 received the certificate.
- The course "Business Process Modeling and Analysis" (in English) by Prof. Dr. Mathias Weske , was offered from November 28, 2013 to December 16, 2013. 9,482 learners were registered in this course, 2,611 received the certificate.
These courses are available now in archive mode. You can access videos, slides, self-tests and discussion forums for personal study.
You will find our current courses in the course overview.
Please have a look at our Blog for the complete list of courses that will be offered in 2014.
"openHPI - a Case-Study on the Emergence of two Learning Communities"
Statistical and qualitative analysis on the first two courses on openHPI.
"openHPI: Evolution of a MOOC platform from LMS to SOA"
Information on the architecture of the openHPI platform, comparative evaluation of several learning management systems.
"openHPI: Soziales und Praktisches Lernen im Kontext eines MOOC"
Evaluation of the openHPI course format according to David Kolb's theory of learning styles.
"Designing MOOCs for the Support of Multiple Learning Styles"
Design guidelines for courses and platform functionality for supporting different learning styles.
"Introducing Hands-On Experience to a Massive Open Online Course on openHPI"
Analysis of the first practical exercises (including assessment) in the openHPI course "Internetworking with TCP/IP".
"openHPI - The MOOC-Offer at Hasso-Plattner-Institute"
Technische Berichte des Hasso-Plattner-Instituts für Softwaresystemtechnik an der Universität Potsdam | Nr. 80